Every interview is different and there will be different questions tailored to different jobs, but here are the 20 most common.
- Tell me about yourself. This one almost always comes up and usually the first thing they ask.
- What do you know about our company?
- Why did you choose to go into (your major)?
- What is your greatest strength or achievement?
- What was your hardest class?
- What was your favorite class?
- Why did you quit your last job?
- How did you find out about us?
- Why did you choose the college you choose?
- What did you like about your last job?
- What did you not like about your last job?
- What do you do outside of school/work? What are some hobbies of yours?
- Would you rather work in a team or by yourself?
- Tell me about a time you ran into a problem and how you solved it.
- What is your dream job?
- Are you willing to relocate?
- Tell me about a problem you have faced and how you solved it.
- What do you see yourself doing in 5 years?
- Who is your superhero/idol and why?
- Do you have any questions for me/us?
These are the top 20 generic questions I have been asked in interviews. Depending on what company you interview with, sometimes they will ask a lot of these questions from above and other times they ask just about none of these.
Most of my interviews, I have has several questions pertaining to my resume. I would say usually I have more questions about my resume and experiences than I do generic questions from above. Companies are usually more interested in your skill set than anything.
One of the Hardest Questions
I was once asked, “Tell me about a piece of advice you have been given from someone and how you used it and applied it to the future.” I was shocked. I had no clue how to answer it. I took a little time and thought about different pieces of advice I have received. I then started to talk about a small pieces of advice that I have heard and used in the past. It wasn’t a great answer, but it worked!
Employers ask a wide variety of questions in an interview. There is no way you can prepare for every single question they ask. There will always be questions that catch you off guard. Just take your time and answer them honestly and you will be fine!
Please share any crazy questions you have been asked!